Monday, April 9, 2012

If you give a Liz a cookie, you'll have to listen to a treatise on her feelings...

If I had any doubts as to whether I was a true sugar addict before I started this terrible experiment, allow me to relay the actual conversation I just had with my roommate:

(a little background: we were talking about a job I really want and my chances all day long)
Me: I really really REALLY WANT IT! AHHH!! (covers face and squeals a bit)
Roommate: Don't worry! You have a real chance! If it's meant to be, it will happen!
Me: I was talking about cookies!!

It's supremely embarrassing how badly I want to eat sugar. Like, any sugar. Like, I would eat sugar off the floor. Like, I would consider doing things I know are very wrong in return for chocolate. I'm trying to stave off the cravings, but it turns out celery is not made of chocolate.

So now, here on this very blog, I am owning it in order to conquer it: I am a sugar addict. And now I am in detox.

People, I am only half kidding. You can read about the dangers of sugar here and here and you can read about how addictive it is here. The toxicity and addictive qualities are not new concepts. This is just the first time that I personally have chosen to try to do something about it. I really don't plan on becoming one of those people who shoves my changes down the throats of others (especially given the fact that I would be dragging myself out to get the nearest cookies at this very moment if it weren't for this blog. There are obviously no lasting changes to speak of yet, y'all.) but unless you and I have met, you have no idea how BIG even the mere thought of doing something about this addiction is. The fact that I'm on week 2 without cracking and giving in is almost unbelievable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I can attempt this and semi-succeed at the end of 8 weeks, then anyone in can do this. I know everyone says that, but y'all, I'm not lying. I now realize what I have not wanted to for some time: I am a sugar addict. I could not stop any time I wanted. And the cravings I'm feeling now are not all in my head.

Then again, neither is the fact that I am suddenly able to focus for more than an hour at a time. Or the fact that I am able to run on 6 hours of sleep when I used to wake up tired after 8. Or the fact that I don't need a nap at 3:00 every day.

So, I'll go back to eating walnuts instead in the hope that my silly self will appreciate the extra hours each day of alertness and, hopefully, the extra years on my life more than the taste of a chocolate chip cookie.

No comments: